Job opportunities in Python — Everything You Need To Know
Python is not only one of the most popular programming languages across the globe, but it is one that offers the most promising career opportunities as well.
Learning Python has gone mainstream. If you haven’t noticed, hundreds of today’s most successful tech companies are using Python, including Instagram, Netflix, Reddit, Lyft, Google, and Spotify. But it’s also being used at the New York Times, Bloomberg, and even at your local bank.
Python is not only one of the most popular programming languages across the globe, but it is one that offers the most promising career opportunities as well. Job boards like Indeed and Naukri offer around 20,000 to 50,000 job listings for Python and this shows that Python career opportunities in India are High. Choosing Python to pursue your career is a good choice. The below stats shows the total job postings of the major programming languages.
Not very long ago, one of India’s unicorn software companies faced a dilemma. It had won a $200 million (Rs. 1200 crore) contract with a large US bank to develop an app store for them. But the company lacked enough dexterous Python programmers. Since Python was the best language for the project, it ended up paying thrice the billing amount to a group of freelance Python programmers in the US instead.
Promising career fields in Python
Becoming a Python developer is the most direct job out there for someone who knows the Python programming language.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient Python code
- Integrating a product’s front end/user-facing elements with the back end/server-side infrastructure
- Build websites
- Optimize data algorithms
- Solve data analytics problems
- Implementing security and data protection
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Testing, debugging, and bug fixes
What differentiates this role from the software developer gig?
For this job, the focus is entirely on Python and the Python-related aspects of a development project.
One of the most common uses for Python is its ability to create and manage data structures quickly — Pandas, for instance, offers a plethora of tools to manipulate, analyze, and even represent data structures and complex datasets. Additionally, you can use Python /R to write your own data analysis algorithms that can be directly integrated into your business intelligence tools via API. Tech stacks needed primarily by a data analyst are Excel, Statistics SQL(Major), and most importantly data visualization tools like Power BI or Tableau.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Analyzing results
- Reporting the results back to the relevant members of the business
- Identifying patterns and trends in data sets
- Working alongside teams within the business or the management team to establish business needs
- Defining new data collection and analysis processes
What is a (Python) full-stack developer?
Data scientists work closely with business stakeholders to understand their goals and determine how data can be used to achieve those goals. The design data modeling processes create algorithms and predictive models to extract the data the business needs and help analyze the data and share insights with peers.
Due to its popularity, Python has hundreds of different libraries and frameworks which is a great addition to your development process. They save a lot of manual time and can easily replace the whole solution.
As a Data Scientist, you will find that many of these libraries will be focused on Data Analytics and Machine Learning. Also, there is huge support for Big Data. I suppose there should be a strong pro to why you need to learn Python as your first language.
Quality Assurance Engineer
Quality Assurance Engineer positions are another ground-level gateway to tech particularly if you know your way around Python. QA Engineers don’t actually build software, they’re simply responsible for testing it and that’s why Python is so important for landing one of these jobs. Python’s golden touch for all things automation-related makes it a ubiquitous language in the software testing process.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Creating software test plans and test cases
- Developing and executing automation scripts using open source tools (like Python)
- Documenting and tracking software bugs
- Monitoring debugging process results
- Understanding of best software testing practices
- Ability and willingness to stay up to date on testing trends and methodologies
Python Web Developer
A Python Web Developer is responsible for writing server-side web application logic. Python web developers usually develop back-end components, connect the application with the other third-party web services, and support the front-end developers by integrating their work with the Python application.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- They are responsible for writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- They need to do integration user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic
- They need to design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant application
- They need to write reusable and efficient code.
- They need to be an expert in Python, with knowledge of at least one Python web framework such as Django, Flask, etc.
Machine learning Engineer/Deep Learning Engineer
If you don’t already know, then let us tell you that the job postings for this position have increased by more than 330% in the last couple of years. If you are skilled in python, you will be given preference over other candidates. A machine learning/deep learning engineer builds and trains machines, programs, and other computer-based systems to apply their learned knowledge for making predictions. Python’s ability to work with data automation and algorithms makes it the ideal programming language that can be used in machine learning
A job description for machine learning engineers typically includes the following:
- Advanced degree in computer science, math, statistics, or a related discipline
- Extensive data modeling and data architecture skills
- Programming experience in Python, R, or Java
- Background in machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or Keras
- Knowledge of Hadoop or other distributed computing systems
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Advanced math skills (linear algebra, Bayesian statistics, group theory)
- Strong written and verbal communications
How to become a Python developer, a really good one?
First of all, your skillset is your weapon — you might land a better project, a better position, and obviously a better salary. Moreover, in programming, you can always learn more, thus gaining additional skills is not only beneficial but also makes a developer’s career path challenging and interesting. Regardless of learning new libraries or taking part in must-attend Python conferences, there are many ways in which you can improve. Basically coding in your free time is a way to go — for that you need a lot of persistence. Secondly, taking part in additional courses and webinars, teaching others, and being active in the programming community to finally find your thing, a particular niche in which you want to become a master.
Comparing Python to Other Technologies
Compared to technologies like Java and PHP, Python is a bit less popular in India. In fact, many big giants still have one foot stuck in Java. To top that, Python doesn’t even make it to school or college curriculum, when Python career opportunities and Python scope is high is actually a great language for beginners.
But Python actually pays more. In the professional world, Ruby and Python developers earn the highest grub, only next to Swift.
You will be happy to know that around 41 big companies across the globe have deployed Python as their main language of programming in a short span of time. Big companies such as Netflix, Reddit, Pinterest, Dropbox, SlideShare, YouTube, Facebook, and Quora have adopted Python and do most of their coding in Python.
In the world of developers, the open secret is that Google also uses Python as its second language of coding and also plans to use this language in the near future for the offerings of its new products.
Learning this programming language is beneficial for you if you are having a background in C++ and C. Python is highly useful for the development of software like custom application development and desktop-based GUIs, internet & web development, and numeric & scientific computing.
If you like what we do and want to know more about our community 👥 then please consider sharing, following, and joining it. It is completely FREE.
Also, don’t forget to show your love ❤️ by clapping 👏 for this article and let us know your views 💬 in the comment.
Join here: https://blogs.colearninglounge.com/join-us